Archery Tips for Rookies :)

Discussion in 'Archery' started by DaniB, May 14, 2015.

1. McNay

McNay Supporting Member

Just for you @DaniB

Attached Files:

2. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

One word @McNay...AWESOME!!! Your shooting grouping is looking amazing and that Prima t-shirt looks stellar over your camouflage shirt! Keep up the good work girl and go smoke that big pig of a black bear!!!!

Shoot Straight & }}-NeverUnderestimate->

McNay likes this.
  3. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Archery Tip for Rookies

Tip #10: Check your arrows!

After shooting your arrows for target practice, 3D, or hunting with them, always make sure to just check them for cracks, breaks, or bends. You never want to shoot a broken arrow and take the chance of having it explode on you and shooting a bent arrow is just plain annoying. So before you shoot, take a good look at your arrows and just make sure that they are A-O-K before you send them flying.

Shoot Straight & }}-NeverUnderestimate->

4. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Archery Tip for Rookies

Tip #11: Do NOT leave broadheads on your arrows when you put them into your bow case with your bow!!!

Never! I mean NEVER EVER EVER NO NEVER, leave those broadheads on your arrows when putting them into your case with your bow!!! I'm glad at the start of all these tips I told ya I'm still a rookie archer! Yes this tip was thought of due to a bout of forgetfulness. But thankfully no bow strings were harmed in the making of this mistake! :) It is just a good reminder that if you are planning on putting your arrows in the same compartment of your bowcase as your bow, then make sure you have your broadheads removed and they are in a separate container. Believe me, you may go one million times with your broadheads on your arrows in your case and never have an issue, but that one time when you are back in the boonies, as far away from civilization as possible and you open your bow case and realize you have a perfectly straight bow and a couple extra short strings, you just might be thinking, "ah ya, so this is what that lil' short haired blonde girl was talking about." ;)

Jackie Bartz and McNay like this.
  5. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Archery Tip for Rookies

Tip #12: Shoot with a friend

Don't find this intimidating. Shooting with a friend can be a fun way to challenge yourself and also improve yourself at the same time. Set up lil' games like aiming for pop bottles or balloons that are in front of a target. I know for some that may seem very elementary, but believe me the more calm you can be while shooting your bow and the more second nature your draw and stance, the more comfortable you will be when it comes to "go time." Just make sure you are shooting with your true friends. Friends who will build you up and encourage you to be better, shoot better, and get closer and closer to that bullseye. And shucks, maybe you can put a bet on it and win some coin. :)

TeresaP, Jackie Bartz and McNay like this.
  6. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Ok so ya...once again "rookie move!" This should have been posted waaaaaaaay long ago! Prolly like Tip #1. But I'll just say it's a rookie move and share it with you know.

Archery Tips For Rookies

Tip #13: HAVE FUN!!!!!

And I MEAN it!! I mean seriously, when can you remember a time when you were angry and mad and then did, worked, or practiced something and it all went hunky dory just perfect? Lemme tell you what, that sure ain't ever happened to me. Yes, there are times when I need to vent some frustration, so go and pick up my bow and take out my heat on a foam target. But c'mon if you ever want to get better at something you need to be enjoying yourself and totally stoked that you get to do it. Otherwise, why are you doing it? And just as a safety factor, you will always be a much safer shooter if you are smiling and focused on making your shot rather than upset about something previous in your day or upset cause you haven't been shooting just how you hoped you would. Just remember what good ol' Ronald Donald said, "ba ba ba ba ba I'm Loving It!" Archery Rocks! Archery is Awesome! Have Fun Doing It!!!!

7. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Archery Tips For Rookies

Tip #14: You don't always have to buy and expensive archery target. Make your own!

When I first started archery, the dirt was my favourite friend. You probably couldn't go around my yard with a metal detector without having it buzz a number of times on broken arrows or arrow tips. Ya, the gophers were pretty safe when I was younger! ;) And I can happily say I have officially graduated from using the ground as my target and have moved on to smaller and softer targets. Though I will say I never did miss when the ground was my aiming spot. :) But if you want to shoot at a target and not spend top dollar for one here are some other options. Have a couple old boogie boards? Line them up one behind the other and they work awesome for a target. And if you happen to shoot through, just keep adding more old boards behind. Have some extra life jackets. Yup, I have shot arrows into old life jackets before. Wouldn't recommend using them after but they sure work well for arrows. Have some square bales? These are easy for pinning a paper target on to. Just be ware, if you're pulling good weight on your bow there is a decent chance your arrow will fly right through. And finally, do you have any old grain bags? How about extra plastic wrapping like Saran Wrap or plastic shopping bags or bread bags. This one is my favourite. I like to use the one-ton grain bags and stuff them full of any plastic wrap I can find. My dad owns a manufacturing plant so there is always lots of shrink wrap laying around that I can stuff in my target.

Hope this helps you ladies in some way. If you have any other ideas for DIY or homemade archery targets or even rifle targets I'd love to hear them.

8. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Archery Tips for Rookies!

Tip #15: Get a metal detector.

Ya, ok, I understand you are probably a bit confused as to what this has to do with archery but believe me, being the rookie archer I am, it has saved me a fair bit of coin when I'm sighting in a new bow or attempting long distance shots.

Just the other day I was out trying to sight in a bow in my back yard. My mom had just freshly cut the grass so I wasn't too concerned about losing an arrow. Dumb idea! Heck the first two shots when straight into the grass; the thick, thick, thick grass. After searching for a while with no avail I finally resorted to my trusty metal detector. Nope, it sure ain't an expensive one, but those arrows would have become lost treasure without it.

You don't have to have an expensive metal detector with all the fancy knobs, stylish gauges, and comfy arm strap. Shucks, mine is a cheap, six year old, one from the Sears Christmas catalogue. But it does the trick and has saved me a swack load of $ for arrows. :)

9. After that initial peak a new archer gets from regular practice does any one have any advice for increasing what you can pull? My state has a minimum draw weight for hunting and it's a bit over what I'm currently able to pull.

10. McNay

McNay Supporting Member

@PBFingers
    I don't have any words of advice for you (unless you have a big pile of firewood in need of cutting cause that'll build up some pipes lol jk) but maybe @DaniB or @Kelsie or @Rihana Cary or @TRx have some pointers! Good luck