Hiking Boots

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear' started by DaniB, May 15, 2015.

1. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

So Ladies, what kinda boots do your feet fancy for long hikes through the woods, up the mountains, across the prairies, or just for treestand/groundblind comfort? Is there a certain brand you feel is superior to others? A certain brand with better support for knees and back? A brand with better quality stitching and ability to stay together? What are your thoughts?

2. Yes! I would love some info on good boots!! I'd like to know if anyone has recommendations for the best waterproof boots. Both of my last pairs were supposed to be waterproof but the outside gets wet then my whole foot is freezing cold!!

3. TRx

TRx @trish_ricks ~huntress, fly angler, lover of life Staff Member

I wear Kenetrek womens Mountain Extreme. I love love love them! They have saved my butt countless times. They are a heavier boot though and definitely made for mountain hunting. They are designed with a very stiff shank to help spring you up the mountain but this could get tiring if you are primarily walking flatter prairie land. I really need the good ankle support while scurrying through rocks and it is especially handy if you are freighting a heavy load. There was a significant break in time ~15-20 miles in them but now they are so comfy I wear them late season, early season, and even bird hunting lol! They now make the same boot in an uninsulated version which would probably better more versitle but at the time of my purchases the extreme boot was only available for women with 300 grams of Thinsulate. I have never had an issue with the waterproofing and the leather quality has met all of my expectations. I believe the company has a warranty policy and you can even send them back in to be resoled as to not need breaking in the boot again. I do use a waterproofing leather conditioner (also made by Kenetrek) on them yearly just to keep the leather in good condition and typically replace the laces. I recommend them, but of course everyone's needs and foot shapes are different. Good luck with your search!

McNay, DaniB and Kallie like this.
  4. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Thanks @TRx so much for that awesome review on the Kenetrek boots. I have heard of them but hadn't really given them much thought, but now I am going to definitely have to check those out and see what I think and how they feel on my feet. Have you ever considered being a sales lady for them? You do a splendid job ;)

TRx likes this.
  5. TRx

TRx @trish_ricks ~huntress, fly angler, lover of life Staff Member

@DaniB Thanks, another thing to consider just so you don't get sticker shock is that they are pretty spendy. Prior to my purchase of the Kenetreks I would go through a lesser expensive pair of boots it seemed like almost every season for one reason or another. Either the fit wasn't what I had hoped, the performance was poor, or they just plumb wore out. Adding up the price of those lesser boots at nearly $100 a pop it doesn't take too long that investing in a $300 pair of boots doesn't seem so unreasonable. Plus, boots are such a critical piece of equipment! Like I said before, it's probably the only equipment that is consistently present for me in every single season, including off season hikes and adventures. I know it can be difficult to justify pulling the trigger on an expensive pair of boots, but I would say in this case you get what you pay for, not necessarily just with Kenetrek, but just overall quality hunting/hiking boots. Another boot company to check out would be Schnee's. I have some of their pack boots which are also outstanding, but I cannot speak for the hiking boots as I have never tried them myself. They have a variety of styles and some do come in women's sizing. Again the quality of the boot is impressive and I've had my warm pack boots for 10 years. I only wear them when I sit in the layout blinds as they are extremely bulky and too heavy to do much walking in, but they are the only boot that I can honestly say I have never gotten cold feet in. Even tested with a goose hunt at -30 degrees F!

McNay and DaniB like this.
  6. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Wow @TRx That is a crazy a lot of good, amazing, awesome information! Thanks so much for taking your time to write all of that down. It sure helped me realize some very important points that I will most certainly be keeping in mind when I go and look for my new pair of boots! I guess it is like they say "quality costs." If you want something good you have to be willing to spend some extra $$$ to get it. But bar none I would rather spend the extra cash and be good to go on my feet the next day than have my feet feel so sore I can't even walk. Yes, that has happened to me after buying a cheap pair of hikers and thinking I could pound out some serious miles on them and be a-o-k...WRONG! I will definitely be doing some research on both the Kenetrek and Schnee's and then give them both a try to see which works best. Thanks again!!

7. I also have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and absolutely love them! My feet were always cold so I really like the Thinsulate in them. They are pricey but i've had them for 3 years now and they still look brand new (I oil them every year). I would definitely recommend them!

DaniB likes this.
  8. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

Awesome! Thank you so much @Ann Berg for your review also going for Kenetrek boots. Now both you ladies have me super curious as to what makes them so good. I'm just gonna have to take my feet for a test try :)

9. Ashley Kurtenbach

Ashley Kurtenbach Beastress/Live Life To The Fullest

I have the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme for insulated boots, and I agree with spending the moola to get good quality boots. I mean you put the miles on them, they might as well serve the purpose right :)? These are durable, comfortable & backed by an awesome warranty. For uninsulated I have Han Wag & they have by far surpassed my expectations. I don't buy any boots for hunting that aren't all leather. Particularly because you burn through many pairs & I like having all leather for all conditions especially antelope season to protect your feet from any cactus poking through. I use the Kenetrek boot wax twice a year to treat them.