Protein bars

Discussion in 'Food' started by TRx, May 8, 2015.

1. TRx

TRx @trish_ricks ~huntress, fly angler, lover of life Staff Member

What is everyone using as a snack bar while out and about? I look for things that are high in protein but low in sugars. Any recommendations?

DaniB likes this.
  2. EPIC bars!!! They are meat bars. Such great ingredients and full of protein, only natural sugars and some don't have any sugar. Have you tried them? I also do Lara bars, but they don't have as much protein.

Rihana Cary and TRx like this.
  3. Kelsie

Kelsie Kelsie-Adventurer-BowHunter- Staff Member

I have never tried Epic bars, I have seen them around. I will have to give them a try! I really like KIND bars for a short burst of energy! I agree with TRx its hard to find bars low in sugar, high in protein. Most of the time I just pack protein powder and add it to water. I know that doesnt sound good, but it gets the job done.

Kallie likes this.
  4. TRx

TRx @trish_ricks ~huntress, fly angler, lover of life Staff Member

Thanks Kallie! I have seen the EPIC bars but have yet to try one. Sounds like I should. Where do you get yours? I have only seen them where I have to buy the bars singularly and not in a pack.

5. I've done protein powder too. I use SFH which is super clean and doesn't taste too bad with just water. I've also taken boiled eggs but they're not as easy to transport, of course.

Kelsie likes this.
  6. They're at most whole foods and heath food stores. If you go to their website epicbar.Com you can find a store near you that sells them. I recently ordered from their website so I'd get a better price for more. The bison cranberry is my favorite!

Kelsie likes this.
  7. Kelsie

I have not taken boiled eggs before, but I could see that being a mess LOL. What is your favorite go to snack when your out in the mountains?

8. Well, I have Celiac disease and another autoimmune disorder so taking food into the backcountry was a struggle in the beginning. I have to eat a pretty clean diet. Right now I've got it down to sweet potatoes that have already been cooked, boiled eggs, protein powder, Epic bars, Lara bars, jerky, dried fruit, nuts and dates.

TRx likes this.
  9. Kelsie

I can't even imagine! I admire your dedication to eat clean and be healthy! Have you always had Celiac disease? What where some of the symptoms that you noticed, if you don't mind me asking.

10. I've had it all my life but it never really affected me until I turned 20. I had pretty typical symptoms: stomach aches, nausea, digestive issues. It wasn't until I removed gluten from my diet that I noticed all of the other symptoms: fatigue, mood swings, not being able to focus well, and just being unhealthy in general. That's actually what got me into hunting. After being diagnosed I made lifestyle choices to be healthier. They included an active lifestyle and healthy foods which go along very well with hunting and harvesting my own meat.

11. Kelsie

Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it. :) Thats so awesome how you have made the choice to change your lifestyle. It must feel great!

Prima_Outdoor and Kallie like this.
  12. Have not seen EPIC Bars, but will look for them. My go to bars are Lara Bars. Some are hard to find, though.

TRx and Prima_Outdoor like this.
  13. DaniB

DaniB Staff Member

To be honest with @TRx ya I'm a sucker when it comes to Quest Protein Bars. I probably shouldn't eat as many as I do but when they just taste soooooo good how can a girl resist. Especially with flavours like chocolate chip cookie dough, cookies & creme, and their new totally delicious one S'mores, yup a girl's gotta have guilty pleasures right :). But if all else fails and I'm out of a Quest bar then I resort to homemade peanut butter, honey, raisin, and oatmeal bars. Deliciousness and satisfy this little mighty mite ;) Good luck in your "quest" to find the right bar (no pun intended lol)